Saturday, March 26, 2011

Bike show and a wee run. Summer is coming.........

A couple of weeks back it was the Scottish Bike show. I haven't been in a couple of years so it was good to have a look about all the new bikes. The stunt show was cancelled due to snow, but it was way to cold to stand around watching some poor cold bastard fly around doing wheelies and stuff. We spoke to the folk on the BMW stand who tried to persuade me to buy a new GS and Dakar legend Simon Pavey got his photo taken with me and shot the shit for a while.

I bet this made Pavey's day.

I took quite a few photos, mostly in the custom and classic hall, so here they are.

Bike show.
Bike show.
An old Douglas like the one my Uncle Greaser had.

Sunbeam
Auld school
Fuel guage.
Bobby's Enfeild
This is Bobby from my local pub's old Enfield. Nice eh?

Chop chop
Special Seat?
Chopper
Monkey
Bike show.
Bike show.
Bike show.
Bike show.
Bike show.
Bike show.
Bike show.
Bike show.
Bike show.
Bike show.
Bike show.
Bike show.
Bike show.
Parsons loves a good classic.

I've also managed to get the GS out for a wee spin. My mate Lynchie had quite a bad accident on his bike a wee while back so it was good to get out for a run with him and Faithir. We even met up with GHC at the BMW shop in Dalkeith, and Lynchie treated everyone to a roll at the legendary Continental Cafe.
When we got back I got to take two different BM 800s out.
Captions on a postcard....

800 one.
800 two. Notice any differences?
GHC's bike (800 one) was my first proper go of the F800. Its a good wee motor, pulls well and is pretty nippy when you give it the berries. Faithirs bike (800 two) feels like a wee bike with a bath stuck to the front. It handles pretty good though, and its for sale if anyone wants a bike that will keep all the bad weather off you, the fairing really is that big. Its like a fucking barn door!

I'm still trying to keep healthy too but I've only managed to get out on the push bike a couple of times in the past couple of weeks. The good thing is that it looks like the good weather is finally arriving. I was out the other day and managed to ride about without getting covered in shit as the trails are beginning to dry out. I was fair enjoying myself and I decided to explore some bits of the woods over the other side of the river that I hadn't been in before. I fell in the river, then fifteen minutes later, fucko! I got a flat tyre from riding into a jaggy bush. Being the Ray-Mears-prepared-for-anything type person that I am, I left my pump and puncture repair kit in the kitchen, so its was a nice walk out for me.

Bastard!
Still, the cycling allows me to occasionally enjoy a chicken kebab from Dino's in Haddington. These are undoubtedly the best chicken kebabs in East Lothian. go and try one. You can get a small kebab with a wee scoop of chips for a fiver!
Mind and say that they were recommended by Mike though. 
from Dino's in Haddington


The "no go" bit of this post refers to the C90. I'm still using it for most of my commuting but the other day it started to run funny and didn't seem to have much compression when I kicked it over. It had felt like this before and it had turned out to be the exhaust valve tappet, which had tightened up, preventing the valve from closing. I checked the valves clearances and sure enough, the tappets were tight. Could I get the clearance right? Could I fuck. Every time I tried it out they were clattering like a jakeys rucksack. Eventually I got it right but what a shop front of a job to do. It was fucking easy last time!
So now I need to try and find a rack for it and try and figure out my MPG and tank range. The wee 90 might be going on a road trip.
The blur of my incredible mechanic skills.

4 comments:

  1. Great photos of the old bikes, Mike. The show sounds like a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. like the pic of the old Pursang 350 Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good looking photos of the show and also the tub stuck to the front of that Beemer. That's hilarious, but being stuck in the rain a few times I would have ridden around with a trash bag on my legs if it works.

    I know you you are, but you're adjusting your valves when your motor's cold, right? I love those old Hondas. They'll climb a tree in first gear.

    Brady
    Behind Bars - Motorcycles and Life
    http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aye, the motor is stone cold when I'm adjusting the valves. The C90 is running pretty sweet now. I think the problem was me not tightening the lock nuts properly. I was planning on a wee spin on the GS today but its out of MOT! So that'll be this weeks job.

    ReplyDelete