Friday, August 4, 2017

Winton Massif - Auld bike trip.

I know, I know, It's been ages since I've posted anything up, but this time its due to being busy rather than lazy! I've got loads of stuff to write up. I've got a bunch of stuff that I've been reviewing, I've done a few trips and I've done my first trip with Passing Places Tours with two more booked up! Happy days!
Back in April Ferg had an idea for a bike trip. Quite a few of us in the Massif are now lucky enough to have more than one bike. Ferg wanted to do an "Auld bike run," taking our older bikes, rather than our usual steeds. It was a four night trip, two night s at a Hostel in Flodigarry on Skye, and two nights at Tobermory hostel on Mull. Due to work commitments I could only make it to Mull. My Kawasaki ZZR had just went over the 100000 mile mark, completing Mission ZZR, so I chose to take that. Ferg took his old XT which he'd just recently put back on the road. Yachtmaster Coastal (Ferg's Dad) Took his BMW R80, Mikey Sunter took his XT660 Tenere,  Snake was on his Harley, Fairthir and Chris Jones only done the Mull part as well, Faithir on his old BMW R100GSPD and Chris on his 1200GSA, having had some trouble with his old bike. We were also joined by newcomer Tex, on his BMW R100RT.

IMG_20170407_164743
IMG_20170407_165029
Will it need run in again?


Faithir and Chris had left earlier in the day, so I had a wet solo run past the Kelpies which thankfully dried up over Rannoch Moor. Chris was only up from England for the one night, so it made sense for them to get away eary and make the most of the day.
The big Zed was running great for a bike that had went round the clock, the fairing was giving pretty good protection from the wind too. There was still a dusting of snow on the hills, giving a touch more drama to the usual stunning scenery, the A82 running relatively quiet before the summertime surge of tourist buses, campervans and caravans. 

Kawasaki ZZR1100 at Rannoch Moor

Kawasaki ZZR1100 at Rannoch Moor

Two minutes on the Corran ferry got me to Ardgour. I had planned on riding to Lochaline along the coast road round by Kilmalieu, but with the weather closing in I really couldn't be arsed getting soaked, I'd have seen fuck all in the mist anyway. Instead I nipped into visit my mate Tim at Sunart Camping, ADV Scotland, I think that's who it was anyway, were having a rally there so I nipped into say hello to anyone left, and scrounge a brew from Tim. I was blabbering away went I suddenly realised the time, or rather that I didn't know what time it was.  
"Shite, what time is it Tim?"
"Half three."
"Fuck sake!!"
I had only 30 minutes to get to Lochaline. It's only about 20 miles, but that was along, wet, greasy sheep and deer filled singletrack roads. Even Google maps says it'll take 55 minutes....
The ZZR may be 24 years old, but it's still very, very fast. And with the 4 into 1 on it, very very loud. I was screaming along the road, the loud pipe warning all the sheep, and everyone else within a 5 mile radius. There must have been one deaf sheep kicking about, because the wooly daft bastard wandered right out in front of me, casually sidestepping as I went past with the front locked up.
I made it on the ferry with about ten seconds to spare. Braw.

IMG_20170416_143955_521

IMG_20170416_161423_758

The guys were all hanging around outside the hostel when I rolled into Tobermory. We were all staying there except Snake, Tex and Mikey, who were up in the campsite. Bike chat ensued, as well as the usual slagging and other craic. The evening was spent out in Tobermory, where Tex's short temper earned him his nickname. We had told him we were calling him Tex because of his cowboy style mustache, but it was really short for Semtex. 

Tobermory and the Winton MAssif

Tobermory and the Winton MAssif

Tobermory

Tobermory and the Winton MAssif

Everyone did their own thing for a bit the following day, we had to say our goodbyes to Chris, as he was heading home. Mull is one of my favorite islands. I spend the following day having a run around Mull's north coast with Yachtmaster and Faithir. The ZZR was pretty hard work on the bumpy, gravel strewn roads compared to my last visit on the Africa Twin. The scenery was as stunning as always though and I really enjoyed crashing about the place on the old Kawasaki. The sun was out making the April afternoon feel almost summery. We even caught a glimpse of some Sea Eagles.
Tobermory, Snake, Tex and Mikey

Dervaig Views

Calgary Bay and Kawasaki ZZR1100

ZZR on Mull

sherrif

IMG_20170417_161048_251

ZZR1100 on Mull

A chippy was bought from the van at the harbour followed by another nice night out in the Mishnish. Even Tex had calmed down. Fergus had come up with some bizarre formula where everyone's bike was rated to see what was the best Auld Bike of the Auld Bike Trip. His formula turned out to be a load of shite, so we put it to a vote, Faithir's R100 GS PD winning. The tasteless buffoons had rated the ZZR way down the list!!
Yachtmaster Costal at Tobermory

Winton Massif at Tobermory

IMG_20170417_221859

An easy run home via the ferry raised a question in my head. I'd achieved what I'd set out to do with the ZZR. It had been round the clock and I'd done a wee trip on it. I really needed the space and Rick always said to give him first dibs to buy it back, which is exactly what he done! I'm happy to say it got him back to Germany with no dramas.
Maybe I'll buy it back once he's done another 90000 miles on it.

IMG_20170418_113123_105


Mike.



Fancy coming on a tour with Mike? Have a look at www.passingplacestours.com and give him a shout.

2 comments:

  1. Nice write up about the trip....I have to agree that the Beemer GS PD deserved to win the judging! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heathen!! Heretic!!!
      The ZZR was the obvious thinking man's choice.

      Delete